This is the place to learn more about the learning and teaching techniques used to enable every pupil in our school to reach their full potential.
As part of our vision at Holyrood Secondary we strive for excellence, include everyone and challenge ourselves to learn.
- To enhance pupil engagement through excellent learning and teaching, incorporating digital strategies.
- We will achieve this through continued development of learning and teaching strategies for all staff using our TLC model.
- We will further develop a sharing practice strategy which allows all staff to be involved.
- Thinking Routines
- Co-operative Learning
- Formative Assessment
- Questions are asked at the start, hinge points and end of a lesson to find out what learners have learned and questions are designed to make learners think. Learners will be chosen at random or an all pupil response system used.
- Lessons should be adjusted after finding out where learners are in their learning. Strengths and next steps should be identified so they can progress their learning.
- Classrooms should have an ethos where mistakes are welcome. There should be opportunities for cooperative working and peer tutoring.
- There should be opportunities for peer assessment and feedback to deepen learning of both learners. Tasks should challenge, motivate and engage learners. Opportunities for self-assessment/evaluation should be available, leading to responsibility for their own improvement in learning.
- Thinking routines should be regularly used to help learners organise their thinking. Classrooms should be a safe space where all learners respect each other’s thinking and the ideas of others can be developed.
Evidence of Impact:
- TLC Calendar/Attendance at sessions/Feedback
- CLPL Calendar/Attendance at sessions/Feedback
- Minutes of DMs showing sharing good practice led by T&L Links
- Staff Surveys
- Pupil Voice Surveys/Focus Groups
- Self-Evaluation Feedback in Jan/May
- DHT L&T Network/Departmental/Cross Curricular Trio Visits & Feedback
- Twitter/Newsletter/Theme of the Week Submissions
- School Noticeboards
- CLPL Library Loan Record/Staff Book Club
Examples of Teaching and Learning (in our L&T newsletters)
HolyroodT&LNewsletter_ May 2022
HolyroodT&LNewsletter_ December 2022
“If we create a culture where every teacher believes they need to improve, not because they are not good enough but because they can be even better, there is no limit to what we can achieve.” Dylan William
CLPL for Teachers
Education Endowment Foundation
Dylan William – Formative Assessment